About Me

My photo
Kennebunkport, Maine, United States
I’ve had to learn to live life on the positive side. If I can do it, I know anyone can. My goal here is to share my experiences, have others share their's and together we can help and encourage each other to be better people. As we all know, success in life takes effort, a change in behavior and the realization that you have to do both to succeed. Maybe you are one of the millions of people who begin every year saying, “This year is going to be different. This year I’m going to make my dreams come true”. If you do not prepare and change your actions from your current path for the upcoming year, do you really believe you will end up at a different destination than last year? What if we did it together, supporting each other on a daily basis. I hope you'll join the journey of finding positive light in an ever negative world.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

"A 30 Day Journey Towards Empowerment” - Day 1

I really wanted to start this blog session by finding out what empowerment means to you and share a bit about what empowerment has meant to me and my journey towards it.

A few years ago I was very much paralyzed by my feeling of helplessness. I felt as though I was unable to implement significant change in my life. My primary frustration was with weight, although there were many other things that I wanted to experience real change in as well. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t seem to lose any weight. A friend of mine recommended the Atkins diet to me and after assuring them it was a hopeless mission, I agreed to trust their guidance and began with the firm resolve in my mind, I’ll do this for 2 weeks and nothing will happen…I’ll show them!! To my surprise, I lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks. I was amazed and thrilled and very thankful I had decided to at least try. Over the next several months I lost 33 pounds and I began to feel empowered to change my life. Not just my weight, but all aspects of my life. If I could do that, then I can do anything! For me empowerment had been my action in daily accomplishments of a fixed goal that I set. Before I had never made a list of goals I want to accomplish.

I’ll back track just a bit….About a year before I began my weight loss, I had been listening to The Secret. I listened to it everyday and became fascinated by the concept of my thoughts creating things. I couldn’t believe how logical the concept really was. I thought, “That is absolutely right! Nothing ever begins without a thought. You can’t create or have goals without first thinking them”. The Secret further talked about the need to feel good about the thoughts you have and the desires you hold. That was the key to bring them into existence. Somehow, the very concept that my feelings determined whether my thoughts became a reality or not made perfect sense to me. Many of us are taught from birth that life evolves around you and you live it by default. Things just happen and you deal with them. I became very excited about the concept that I could create my life as opposed to living it by default. I started developing a belief in the concept of Law of Attraction and began contemplating things I wanted without really knowing how they would ever come to me. To my surprise and amazement, the direction I needed was (and is) always provided to me….beginning with my friend’s suggestion on weight loss. I have gone on to lose more than 50 pounds and I continue to attend to my fitness and eating goals daily.

Empowerment to me has become a knowing that I can create my life and then taking action as the path is revealed to me towards the goals I choose (not one that someone else chooses for me). It has been a bit of a journey, for sure, to get to this place, but once you realize you are living life everyday on your journey towards your goals, everything becomes empowering. All those times I’ve said, I want to write and I want to help people feel good and feel empowered is now being realized. I’m living it now! It’s all in the process of the journey to the goal. I’m taking the incremental steps I need to in order to get there. My point is that the goal can be whatever you decided to make it, but please realize it’s in the journey that you are living every day that the goal and the dream will be realized…you will never “arrive” at a destination, the process of achieving is life. So enjoy this day and empower yourself to do one new thing today to create change. It all starts with a belief that things can be different.

I would love to hear your thoughts and vision on what empowerment means to you or what a feeling of greater empowerment would mean to you. Please feel free to share here or email me at justfeelgood2@gmail.com.

I look forward to our journey together towards empowerment!

Wendy <3

No comments:

Post a Comment